This vacancy notice is also posted in the Public Folders/Corporate/General Information to Staff/Vacancy Announcements.
OPEN TO INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Vacancy Notice no: VN 2005/07 (O)
Duty Position: Headquarters, Geneva
Position Title: Head, Staff Development and Learning (SDL)
Classification: Official, P4 (UN Salary Scale for Professionals)
Type of appointment: Fixed-term, one year, with possibility of extension*
General functions: Under the supervision of the Director, Human Resources Management, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for developing and implementing IOM's Staff Development and Learning strategy to ensure that IOM staff have the required competencies, skills and knowledge to successfully carry out their tasks. He/she will also be responsible for advising senior management on new approaches and adaptations of existing HR policies and practices in the area of Staff Development and Learning. In particular, he/she will:
1. Elaborate and propose a strategy for staff development programmes, identify training needs and the best methodologies to maximize their impact, as well as best use of available resources.
2. Identify and prioritize managerial and behavioural competencies that need to be addressed through training of staff in various functions and levels as well as identify and prioritize training initiatives that contribute to best closing any existing functional competency gaps.
3. Support and advise senior management, supervisors and staff members on learning and training opportunities that would enhance performance of individual staff members and teams; advise staff members on staff development needs and options in order to promote career planning and development.
4. Maintain close collaboration with and provide technical support to the Staff Development Steering Committee.
5. Liaise extensively with Department Heads, Regional Representatives and Chiefs of Mission to establish staff development and training priorities and plans.
6. Develop and implement a strategic programme to invest SDL resources in staff with high potential for growth in the Organization.
7. Manage the training budget.
8. Organize and conduct staff development and training sessions and identify internal and external training resources, as appropriate; act as resource person on effective learning methodologies and techniques as well as evaluation methodologies to assess learning outcomes and the longer-term impact of training.
9. Coordinate the creation and implementation of a performance appraisal system, including career and staff development plans.
10. Counsel staff on training options for their career transition and/or further career development.
11. Supervise staff in the Staff Development and Learning Unit.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
and competencies): University degree, preferably in Organizational Development and/or Behaviour, Human Resources or Education. Eight years of experience in the area of human resources management in a private or international organization, with proven ability to conceptualize and implement staff development and learning programmes. Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of strategic directions for strengthening the Staff Development and Learning function of an intergovernmental organization. Expertise in developing clear organizational goals and effective programme delivery. Experience in competency-based performance management systems highly desirable; knowledge of modern HR concepts a must. Ability to supervise and direct staff.
Excellent communication, analytical and writing skills. Strong strategic and creative thinking; personal commitment, flexibility and leadership; drive for results and open management style. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and interact with staff at all levels within the organization.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of French; knowledge of Spanish an advantage.
Method of application: External candidates with the required qualifications should submit a completed IOM Personal History Form, which is available at www.iom.int, Headquarters in Geneva and IOM Field Missions. Candidates holding an IOM contract should submit the internal application form. All applications should be addressed to VN-2005-07-O@iom.int or posted to the Head, Staffing Unit, Human Resources Management, quoting the above vacancy notice number.
*The tenure of contract of staff members holding a regular contract will remain unchanged.
Closing Date: 04 March 2005