Vacancy Announcement 11P000V05
Title of the Post Research Officer
Unit Research and Documentation, Department General Affairs and Research
Duty station: Vienna
Start date: 1 July 2011, or earlier
Duration: 6 months, with possibility for prolongation
Deadline for applications: 14 June 2011
Issue date: 26 May 2011
The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD), an international organisation with headquarters in Vienna, Austria, is inviting interested candidates to apply for the post of a Research Officer to strengthen its Research-Unit within the Department for General Affairs and Research.
The position is a full-time position of 40h/week and for a period of 6 months, with possibilities for prolongation.
Under the general supervision of the Director for General Affairs and Research and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager for Research, the successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to ongoing projects of the research team, in particular, to contribute to ongoing comparative research on various aspects of migration, integration and asylum policy.
The successful candidate will perform the following specific tasks:
· Project management, including reviewing, monitoring project implementation, revising and updating project work plans, budgets and project staffing plans, organising project events, communicating with donors and other stakeholders and preparing progress reports as required.
· Scientific coordination of ongoing research projects, including supervision and coordination of project teams, elaboration of research methodology, preparation of research instruments and project deliverables with support from project teams
· Providing support to other ongoing projects, including undertaking policy analysis, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, drafting of reports and providing other inputs to project deliverables as required.
· Contribute to other research activities, including contributing to dissemination of research results, drafting ad hoc analyses as requested and answering requests.
· Contribute, jointly with the team of the ICMPD Research-Unit, to the development of new project activities, including through identifying funding opportunities and contributing to and/ or coordinating research proposals.
· Advanced university degree in social sciences or related fields (including Political Science, Sociology, Social Anthropology, Social and Economic Geography). University education in migration studies will be an asset
· Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in migration research, and in particular migration and integration policy analysis. Experience in research on discrimination and human rights and migration will be an asset.
· Experience in international comparative research, and in particular migration policy analysis with a regional focus on the European Union. Additional experience in research on other world regions will be an asset.
· Experience in managing and coordinating at least two large scale projects involving multiple partners and/or covering multiple countries, including (but not limited to) EU framework programme (FP6, FP7), research projects under the solidarity funds (notably EIF, ERF) or other Commission funded programmes and tenders. Alternatively, applicants with experience in managing one large and scale research project and two smaller scale projects involving at least two partner institutions will be considered as well.
· Excellent oral and written English communication skills; knowledge of other major languages of the European Union will be an asset
· Excellent scientific drafting skills
· Excellent analytical skills
· Excellent command of standard MS-office software (MS-Word, MS Excel). Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative analysis software will be an asset-
· Excellent management, coordination and interpersonal skills
· Experience of working and ability to work in a team
· Initiative and ability to work independently and under time pressure
· Substantial knowledge of research and policy issues in the field of migration, both on the national level and in comparative perspective and on the EU level.
· Familiarity with broader issues in migration research and of the European Union, notably migration and asylum policy in individual EU MS and at the European Union level, knowledge of institutional structure for migration policy making and awareness of relevant actors and stakeholders in the European Union framework.
· Familiarity with and knowledge of migration research on other world regions and on the global level will be an asset.
ICMPD offers a competitive salary commensurate with the successful applicant’s experience and education.
Please address all your enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating vacancy number and title of post in the subject line.
Interested applicants should forward their application to email@example.com. The application should include
· a cover letter, including a motivation for applying for the position, full contact details and a short presentation of the applicant in view of the selection criteria, notably a description of previous experience in coordinating and managing projects. In addition, the cover letter should include contact details of two referees. Referees may be contacted in the course of the recruitment process. Referees should not have a purely academic relationship with the applicant (e.g. PhD supervisor) and should be able to answer queries as regards the selection criteria, both in respect to academic requirements and in relation to practical work experience and coordination skills.
· a detailed CV (formats other than the European ones are accepted), and
· a list of relevant publications attached to the CV or sent as a separate file.
· The CV should also list previous involvement in relevant research projects.
· A copy (ideally in electronic format) of one research publication (article, report or other) drafted by the applicant should be provided along with the CV, list of publications and cover letter.
Recruitment starts immediately upon publication of this vacancy announcement, posts may be filled already before the indicated application deadline. We thus encourage you to submit your application early. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.